The Romance of Romesco
Romesco is a smoky, lightly spicy sauce made with roasted red peppers, almonds, and smoked paprika. It is as good on a sandwich as it is on freshly prepared meats and seafood, or simply used as a dip for crackers or crudités!
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (or yellow and orange if you want to experiment with color!)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ c toasted slivered or shaved almonds
- ¼ c tomato sauce (sometimes I cheat with sugar-free prepared marinara!)
- 2 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika – if you choose hot, you can skip the next ingredient
- ¼ tsp hot pepper flakes, ground cayenne or chipotle
- ½ c olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine everything up to salt & pepper in blender or food processor. Season to taste before transferring to small lidded jar. Keeps in refrigerator for 1 – 2 weeks.