LASAGNA! Oh, my word – it’s one of the most heavenly things on Earth in my humble opinion. The layers upon layers of yumminess – it’s enough to make you cry with delight. I have made about a million different forms of lasagna over the years, and this is a super-easy one to add to your repertoire.
Because we use individual jars to make these, they are already appropriately portioned AND easily portable to make your work or school day more delicious. And “cheating” with low-sugar commercially-prepared sauce makes the “hard part” come together in about 10 minutes. Altogether, they’re so good, you won’t even MISS the noodles – but you’re welcome to put in layers of roasted vegetables anytime you see fit!
- 1 lb ground beef (I use grassfed, organic 85/15 or higher fat%)
- ½ c no-sugar added prepared marinara sauce (I used Rao’s Marinara)
- 8oz/1 cup fresh ricotta
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan or Romano
- 1 large egg
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder (to taste)
- Extra Equipment – 4 8oz/ 1 cup wide-mouth canning jars or ramekins
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, saute the ground beef. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder according to taste – I put a big pinch of salt in, ~1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, and a few grinds of black pepper. Once it is cooked through, transfer to a mixing bowl and add ½ cup of prepared marinara sauce stir through.
- In another bowl, combine ricotta, 2 Tablespoons of parmesan, and egg.
- Scoop ¼ cup of the meat mixture into each of your containers and tamp down. Top with 2 Tablespoons of the ricotta mixture and spread over the meat. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of shredded mozzarella on that and repeat the layers a second time. Once you have used the last of your mozzarella, sprinkle ½ teaspoon of Parmesan on top of each cup. Place all on a baking tray and pop into the oven for 25 minutes, until the tops are bubbling and golden!
- Let cool for a minute and enjoy – possibly with a side of zoodles marinara like I did!